Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Lesson in Humor: If You Can Laugh, When You Lose Your Nads...

My dad had a great sense of humor. He showed me many times the value of being able to laugh at yourself and the world around you.

When he was diagnosed with late stage prostate cancer, one of the first procedures he had was a bilateral orchiectomy. I'll save you from looking it up, it's the surgical removal of both testicles. (because it feeds the cancer)

I was there when they wheeled my Dad out of the operating room after the procedure. He gave me a dopey, post general anesthesia grin and asked the surgical nurse, "Was it a boy or a girl?"
She laughed and said, "You had twins, honey."
He chuckled, "Yea, I bet they l looked a lot alike."

Now this is a man who didn't smoke, never took anything stronger than an aspirin, didn't drink heavily, and minutes after having his first general anesthetic, he has the presence of mind to fire off a primo joke about just having his nuts lopped off.

That, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what’s called, a sense of humor.

 
I miss you Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment